NHMRC post-doctoral overseas scholar: University of Melbourne, Australia/ University of Leuven, Belgium. Exercise magnetic resonance imaging to identify structural and functional remodelling in athletes and its pro-arrhythmic potential.
2010 PhD Aetiology of structural and functional remodelling of the right ventricle in endurance athletes. University of Melbourne.
2007 Fellowship Royal Australasian College of Physicians (Cardiologist)
1998 Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery, University of Melbourne.
1991 Victorian Certificate of Education
Australian Government Excellence Award (best 100 academic results in Australia)
36 peer-review publications, sited >300 times including:
1. La Gerche A et al. Exercise induced right ventricular dysfunction and structural remodelling in endurance athletes. European Heart Journal 2011 Dec 6. Epub ahead of print - published with editorial
2. La Gerche A et al. Disproportionate exercise load and remodeling of the athlete's right ventricle. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2011 Jun;43(6):974-81.
3. La Gerche A et al. Pulmonary transit of agitated contrast is associated with enhanced pulmonary vascular reserve and right ventricular function during exercise. J Appl Physiol. 2010 Nov;109(5):1307-17- published with editorial
4. La Gerche A et al. Lower than expected desmosomal gene mutation prevalence in endurance athletes with complex ventricular arrhythmias of right ventricular origin. Heart 2010; Aug;96(16):1268-74. - published with editorial
5. La Gerche A et al. Biochemical and functional abnormalities of left and right ventricular function following ultra-endurance exercise. Heart,2008; 94: 860 - 866.
Scholarships and Grants:
2011 – 2014 NHMRC Post-doctoral fellowship ($385,992).
2008 – 2010 NH